Wednesday, October 24, 2007

"Scleletons" in our closet

We don't celebrate Halloween.
Last time I remember doing Halloween, I was so young that EVERYTHING scared me!
Our neighbor lady had dressed up as a witch complete with wart and hat. She was standing out on her driveway with what I remember to be, a GIANT cauldron of steaming green goo. I figured that was where she would cook us if she could get us. I held tighter to mom's hand. Somewhere about the age of 4 we didn't celebrate anymore. And it has always been fine by me. I am very sensitive to scary things. They bring up evil things in my mind and spirit and that is NOT cool with me or for my family.
So, we bypass Halloween by having a special movie night. The couch cushions and blankets become a tent. We drag pillows and stuffed animals to the living room, turn off every light in the house so we appear to be away from home, and we watch Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss, the funniest 80's movie ever made!
But...you knew that was coming!
This year Bubblegum is in Kindergarten. I have explained to him in simple terms how he can tell his friends why we don't do Halloween. And he gets it. But that doesn't mean he won't be participating in the stories and art projects that are all Halloween related. Mostly they seem to be fall projects but I have a feeling I will see more and more art pieces like this one.

The best part about it is the writing Ben does. He likes to spell things for himself and if everything was spelled how it sounds, he would be right every time!
Take this pumpkin for example. Ben named it Pumpkiny. And he just had to write on it.

Can you decipher for yourself how he feels about his little pumpkin friend?

No comments: