Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Kindergarten Blues

Today was Bubblegum's third day at his new school. My little boy is in Kindergarten!
Ok...I admit it. I didn't cry. Not a single tear. But I did have a knot of aprehension in my tummy all day Monday and Tuesday. I am worried for him. We did not have a good "meet your teacher day."
I think I am a pretty good judge of character. My mother taught me.
She said you can always tell a good doctor. They are the ones who come into the room and immediately introduce themselves to you, putting you at ease by talking to you. And this is how I have found so many good doctors! Thanks mom.
So, when we walked in Bubblegum's classroom for the first time last Friday, the teacher was in the corner talking to some other parents. I thought I would stand nearby and wait a moment until she finished so she could introduce herself. Yes, because that IS what I expected of her. She didn't. And even worse she just mumbled a hello to me and Bubblegum. No conversation, no explanation, no excitement, no personality.
BLAH!
The next day Ben came home and said he had a headache. He had a low grade fever and felt nauseated. Heat exposure. You never doubt the signs living here in 100+ degrees Florida. A note home from the teacher said "Fell asleep this afternoon."
Bubblegum said he did fall asleep at rest time. But that he only had his eyes closed waiting for me to pick him up, because the sun was so bright. I was shocked!
That particular day I had waited in the car line for 25 minutes to pick up my kid. All that time I waited, bitching in the air conditioned van, my Bubblegum sat in the blazing sun until his name was called. And he did what all Bubblegum does...he melted! Needless to say I am now parking the car and walking up to the school to pick him up. Poor dude! What a way to start the next 22 years of his school years life!

No comments: